There is little more than a month left until Sunshine Coast teenager Lachlan Smart departs for his world flight, which will see him aim to become the youngest person to fly solo around the world, in a single engine aircraft, and the final call for those wishing to attend his official farewell dinner is out.
Lachie’s Wings Around the World trip will see him depart from the Sunshine Coast in the early hours of Monday July 4, heading east through the Pacific to the America’s, before a turn north sees him skirt the Arctic Circle. He then makes his way from Europe through the Middle East, and Asia back home to Australia.
However before that takes place, the Wings Around the World team is hosting a farewell dinner for Lachie before the final month of preparation gets underway. The five-course meal event will be held at Lachie’s high school, Nambour Christian College, with highlights of the night including:
- Live music
- Lachie speaking about his trip, with an introduction from his mother Vanessa
- Eight up-and-coming young achievers from Nambour Christian College being presented
- Lachie will present to the audience Young Achievers International – the post world flight organisation Lachie has created that will encourage and support young people chasing their dreams.
The night will also include an auction of art pieces and jewellery, and a raffle draw that has outstanding prizes including:
- A Cairns holiday for two people
- A 3 month gym membership at Anytime Fitness Nambour
- A night’s accommodation in an ‘Ocean View’ room at the Pacific Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa on the Gold Coast
- Five day complimentary care hire at any AVIS car hire location in Australia
- A hinterland photography portrait session for families worth $250.00
With so many great prizes, the team hopes to see a strong turnout at the farewell dinner, which is a way for everyone to get involved in Lachie’s record breaking flight that will join a long list of historically mind-blowing records achieved by young Australian’s.