School students in years 5-7 (inclusive) are invited to enter a competition that could see them and two others go on the flight of their lives with Lachlan Smart around the Sunshine Coast after he returns from his world record-breaking flight.
Wings Around the World was devised by Smart as a way to do something of significance, and help promote to young people that dreams can be achieved, no matter age or circumstance. It is his hope that by flying around the world he can exemplify that.
Now with the countdown on until his departure coming into the final month, all school students need to do is answer a simple questionnaire to go into the draw to win a flight, and become a part of the Wings Around the World story!
Print it out & post it to:
Wings Around the World Competition
P O BOX 500
The competition closes on June 30 – so get your answers in quick!
Warm up round:
- How old is Lachie?
- What is Lachie calling his world record attempt?
- What part of Queensland does Lachie live in?
You can find the rest of the questions in the form! (One more download link HERE).
There is little more than a month left until Sunshine Coast teenager Lachlan Smart departs for his world flight, which will see him aim to become the youngest person to fly solo around the world, in a single engine aircraft, and the final call for those wishing to attend his official farewell dinner is out.
Lachie’s Wings Around the World trip will see him depart from the Sunshine Coast in the early hours of Monday July 4, heading east through the Pacific to the America’s, before a turn north sees him skirt the Arctic Circle. He then makes his way from Europe through the Middle East, and Asia back home to Australia.
However before that takes place, the Wings Around the World team is hosting a farewell dinner for Lachie before the final month of preparation gets underway. The five-course meal event will be held at Lachie’s high school, Nambour Christian College, with highlights of the night including:
- Live music
- Lachie speaking about his trip, with an introduction from his mother Vanessa
- Eight up-and-coming young achievers from Nambour Christian College being presented
- Lachie will present to the audience Young Achievers International – the post world flight organisation Lachie has created that will encourage and support young people chasing their dreams.
The night will also include an auction of art pieces and jewellery, and a raffle draw that has outstanding prizes including:
- A Cairns holiday for two people
- A 3 month gym membership at Anytime Fitness Nambour
- A night’s accommodation in an ‘Ocean View’ room at the Pacific Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa on the Gold Coast
- Five day complimentary care hire at any AVIS car hire location in Australia
- A hinterland photography portrait session for families worth $250.00
With so many great prizes, the team hopes to see a strong turnout at the farewell dinner, which is a way for everyone to get involved in Lachie’s record breaking flight that will join a long list of historically mind-blowing records achieved by young Australian’s.
You can book your tickets HERE.
Sunshine Coast school students in grades 10-12 (inclusive) are invited to enter an essay competition for their chance to have their piece published in the Sunshine Coast Daily and win a flight around the Sunshine Coast for three people with Lachlan Smart.
As the driving force behind Wings Around the World, Smart is intent on promoting youth achievement and is using his goal to become the youngest pilot in history to fly solo around the world, in a single engine aircraft as the catalyst for his message that dreams can be achieved, no matter how big or small.
With the spotlight set to be on the Sunshine Coast throughout Smart’s trip, Sunshine Coast students are encouraged to submit an essay outlining how Wings Around the World will affect the local community.
To submit an entry, the essay must be attached and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. or by post to:
Wings around The World Competition
PO Box 196
Nambour QLD 4560
Entries must be received by Tuesday May 31, with prize winners announced online and on the Wings Around the World Facebook.
- Essay due May 31
- First prize: Essay published in the Sunshine Coast Daily + flight for you and three mates with Lachie around the Sunshine Coast
- Runners up to receive a Wings Around the World cap
- Topics may include personal inspiration stories, benefits to local schools, sports and organisations, universities, businesses, tourism or more (be creative!).
- Essay’s should be no more than 800 words.